We are so looking forward to our 8th annual Vadrajfjord 5 mile run 5k walk in aid of Waterford Hospice. This year you can chose whatever route you like all that we ask is that you do it on either the 26th. 27th or 28th of December
The event this year is a virtual one and it is YOUR Run and Walk for Life-YOUR way. You get to choose your distance, your route, your day and the time you would like to undertake YOUR own challenge.
With no Government funding the service in 2019 was 96% funded by public donations and this huge community effort allows us to sustain the service each year. We are extremely thankful to our event partners- UPMC Whitfield Hospital and Beat. Beat is a long-time sponsor and friend and with UPMC Whitfield Hospital joining us as headline sponsor for their first year we offer them a warm welcome- it’s great to have you on board!
Thank you for your continued support of the Solas Cancer Support Centre and we look forward to seeing roads and parks all over Waterford, Ireland and beyond turn orange.
We would ask all participants to adhere to the Level 3 guidelines that are in place for the event over the weekend.
The Schedule is outlined below. Once entries have closed we will assign Athletes to either H1 or H2 for each distances. This will be circulated by email on Friday.
Check in will be in the RSC car park prior to entering the track. Please make sure you check in only at the allocated times for your distances and take note of the enter and exit times which refer to when you will be given access to the track. This is in order to comply with maximum numbers allowed on the track and to have all races run in time.
When you check in you will be given a bib number please put this on you immediately so that you are ready to run at your allocated time.
- You will not be permitted entry to the track earlier than their event’s designated entry time. Please use the surrounding areas for your warm up
- Spectators will not be permitted access to the track
- Coaches can access the track but only for the duration of your participation.
- All race heat start times are staggered. Please refer to the schedule for your start time.
- On conclusion of your heat please exit the track immediately and take any of your belongings with you. You will not be granted access to the track after your heat has concluded.
- Please arrive ready, as access to the changing facilities will not be permitted.
- There will be a single entry and single exit point for the track. These are one way only.
- Wear your bib number unobstructed on your chest and dispose of it safely after the event.
- Please use the hand sanitizing stations provided in the RSC on entering and exiting the track.
- We ask that you bring your own refreshments. Water will not be provided at the finish.
- At all times, we ask that you
- Observe social distancing unless in an intermittent manner like passing on a track.
- Observe correct etiquette re coughing
- Observe correct competitor etiquette (no spitting, hand shaking etc)
- Wait at least 3 minutes after the event before interacting with the public, officials, or other athletes.
- Contact your GP and read the HSE guidelines and then inform the Competition Organisers if you become ill after the event.
Join us for one of Ireland’s oldest road races, which will celebrated its 50th Running of the event in 2019.
Saturday 18th April 2019 at 7pm.
The Paddy Flanagan Memorial Race was first run in May 9th 1970 Tramore to Ballykinsella and back to finish in Tramore. It changed to it’s current route from Waterford City to Tramore in 1974.
The race starts at Waterford’s Viking Triangle in Waterford city and goes out the Tramore road to finish in Tramore outside Splashworld. Prizes for top men and women and age categories. Showers, changing facilities, refreshments, and prize giving will be in the GAA centre in Tramore after.
This is a point to point race so don’t forget to organise a lift back into town or check out the Bus Eireann bus time table.
Register online at www.waterfordac.com or on the night between 5:45 and 6:45 in the Bishops Palace, The Mall, directly opposite Waterford Crystal. Prices are €10 + booking online or €15 on the night.
Course record Pauline Lambe, Tullamore Harriers A.C. 44.03 (2010) Sandis Bralitis West Waterford AC 36.44 (2010)
Again Bluewall Technologies Limited, have come onboard as main Sponsor and Waterford AC are very glad to have such a popular sponsor involved again this year. This is the 10th year Bluewall will be sponsoring and with exceptionally generous and popular prizes in previous years.
Another excellent crowd of runners is expected as previous years.
The School Run, formerly the Castlecomer 10k & 5k will take place on Friday 19th June. All proceed for the event go to the Presentation Convent National School in Castlecomer. This year sees the introduction of medals for all 5 and 10k participants. Again there will be chip timing, great postrace refreshments.
The scenic surrounds and undulations of the Discovery Park make this a run like no other. Challenging but very rewarding. The route starts on the Dublin Road at the church and goes out the road past Ormonde Brick and then into the woods. After approximately 1.5km there is a good downhill stretch which lasts for 1 kilometre. The only other uphill of note is when running towards the elf village area but its short lived. The finish line is close to the car park and main Discovery Park entrance.
There is also a 5k corporate challenge where teams of 4 compete with the best 3 times to count. The entry price is €50 for a team of four.
Both the 10k & 5k start at 8pm. The Castlecomer 10k is two loops of 5k with 85% of it off road on beautiful trails. The 5k is one loop.
Entry is €20 for 10k and €15 for 5k. Online registration is available until 10pm on Wednesday 17th June
The 14th AnneValley 5 Mile Challenge is taking place on 8th of Feb 2019, at 12 noon in Dunhill Village, Co.Waterford, Ireland. This is a nice challenging and scenic course which takes in the splendour of the Anne River, Annestown, Dunhill Castle and Dunhill Village. And when you return a spread that will make your make mouth water. Category prizes, as well as course record if broken.
In aid of the Jack and Jill Children’s Foundation
Registration opens at 11:30am at St Pauls Church Hall. €12 For Runners €5 For Walkers and €10 For Family Walking. No Headphones allowed when running.